Sunday, March 20, 2022

Creative Perspective , Creative Possibilities

The web-torial began with a focus on the importance of play and fun in a coaching session with Coach Mel sharing an incident where professionals in a coaching session found it difficult to draw an image, very quickly reverting to writing words. It is good at times where a client is provided the opportunity to go into child-like mode and express what needs to be surfaced. This sort of creativity helps the client relax, be curious and be open. So far so good but I think that’s where the child-like creativity approach ended and we went deep into five models for processing a client’s mindset to enable him to get unstuck or broaden and expose his thought process to aspects yet considered but vitally important.

The Disney Method


I love this complex creativity strategy developed by Robert Dilts in 1994, that involves parallel thinking to analyze a problem, generate ideas, evaluate ideas, construct and critique a plan of action. In short it’s a model that will take in your idea, work on it thoroughly and the end product is a more realistic and possible construct with a high probability that it will work.

To use this model, those involve take turns playing 3 specific roles in the following order, focusing on a specific perspective and answering related questions:

Dreamer  - approaches presenting task in a positive and enthusiastic attitude and seeks to answer  questions such as “What would be nice?”, “What would be the optimal situation?” or “What would I wish for?” The dreamer assumes that everything is possible.

Once the idea to be focused on is identified, those involved in this process try to imagine an ideal solution without any constraints. They brainstorm all sorts of ideas to resolve the problem using divergent thinking. No criticism or judgement is allowed. Many ideas are generated and written down.

The dreamer asked questions that help describing ideas and though such as the following:

  • What do we want?
  • What is the solution?
  • How do we imagine the solution?
  • What are the benefits of applying this solution?

Realist – approaches the presenting task as a pragmatist and asks himself which materials, which knowledge, which techniques there are with which the thoughts of the dreamer can be realized. The realist is also called the doer.

Once the idea has been positively developed in the Dreamer stage, the team then takes a practical, constructive mindset. The ideas are reviewed to select the best to which  they work it up into a project plan with costs, timescales, risks and benefits.

This stage includes questions such as the following:

  • How can we apply this idea in reality?
  • What is the action plan to apply the idea?
  • What is the timeline to apply this idea?
  • How to evaluate the idea?

Critic - approaches the task by challenging the approaches of the dreamer and the realist by identifying opportunities and risks, pointing out limits and gaps, and expressing constructive and always positive criticism. The critic helps to identify possible sources of error.

Lastly the plan is the plan is placed in the hands of the Critic in order to identify problems, obstacles and risks. They are not negative or cynical but critical and constructive. Their objective is to spot the issues with the plan and to make it better.

In this stage, questions asked could be as follows:

  • What could be wrong with the idea?
  • What is missing?
  • Why cannot we apply it?
  • What are the weaknesses in the plan?

I just love this method for it enables my client and I to dissect a dream or plan thoroughly and build it to be a wholistic plan that has covered some key bases and is more pragmatic. Here is how it could look like when my dream of running a private hideaway in my farm is put through Disney's method:


Maxwell’s Dream Test

A huge fan of John Maxwell, I was delighted to be introduced to the 10 Questions Maxwell introduced in his book Put Your Dream To The Test, written to help answer the question: I’ve got a dream. How can I know my odds are good for achieving it? He believes if we really explore each question, examine ourselves honestly and answer yes to all the questions, the odds are very good.

Here they are:

  1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?
  2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?
  3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream?
  4. The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it?
  5. The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream?
  6. The People Question: Have I included the people I need to realize my dream?
  7. The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream?
  8. The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream?
  9. The Fulfillment Question: Does working toward my dream bring satisfaction?
  10. The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others?

If I am coaching a client seeking to reach a dream (which I am aiming to do) these 10 questions are heaven sent, showing me where to focus, giving me ideas and guiding me in guiding my client to realizing her dreams(s). but the test is in the pudding and I should eat my own medicine. So here are my answers for my private hideaway dream as I let Maxwell question it:

  1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream? Yes it is.
  2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream? Could be clearer.
  3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream? Haven’t thought about this . . .
  4. The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it? More like a gentle, consistent push.
  5. The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream? No
  6. The People Question: Have I included the people I need to realize my dream? Yes
  7. The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream? 60%-70%
  8. The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream? Inching very slowly
  9. The Fulfillment Question: Does working toward my dream bring satisfaction? Yes
  10. The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others? Yes

 

Circle Of Concern

I must say this method sort of stumped me and I struggle to make sense of it and see how I could apply it as a creative method when coaching someone. Here’s what I made out of what Coach Mel shared and what I read up on:

This model works best when the focus is on a present challenge and there is a need by my client to be in control. 

The model helps the client see that that she does not need to be in control of all the parts nor can she be in control. 

Even so there are areas she can have an influence over. 

This model also helps my client see what are the possible opportunities (areas she is in control of)

The idea is to steer the area of focus away from concerns outside our influence, so that we don’t fall into the space of accusing, blaming, and victimization.  



Popularized by Stephen Covey, this model presents three spheres:
 

  • The Circle of Concern – the many worries the client might have
  • The Circle of Influence – focusing on what the client can do something about – either directly or indirectly
  • The Circle of Control – an even smaller circle, representing the things the client can actually directly do something about

Human beings can choose where they focus their energy and attention. If we focus on the concerns outside our influence, we risk increasing our stress and falling into the space of accusing, blaming, and victimization. By choosing to focus on the circle of influence – we move into a more proactive space and take steps that make a positive difference. In short, using this model helps limit wasteful rumination and inaction, altering thinking to improve productivity, see possibilities to progress and achievement, and also to build resilience. Nice.

The Power of ‘Instead’

Just by using the adverb ‘instead’ in the form of a question, the coach gives the client an opportunity to consider alternatives and reveal what she really wants to say, feel or do. Here are questions Coach Mel introduced which I am certain to use in the future:

  • What do you want instead of __________ ?
  • What do you want to be/feel/do/say instead?
  • Where do you want to be heading instead?
Superhero T.E.A

I like this creative tool as it helps the client take on an alter ego and see himself in the light of someone more able. This removes the excuse of ‘I am not ________ enough’ and gives the client the freedom to imagine herself with the qualities/power of the selected and appropriate superhero (real or fictional). For this method, questions could be as follows:

  • What if you could ______ like _______?
  • If you were _______, what would you do/say/feel in this situation? 
Another web-torial, another collection of power tools to use in my endeavor to assist my client face and deal with the challenges and possibilities she faces as she journeys towards her desired goal(s) in life. Tools to help create a more wholesome solution, to clarify the way ahead and to open up possibilities. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Proof Is In The Practicum

  A fellow asked a wise man, “Which way is success?” The wise man said nothing and gestured towards a path. The man feeling elated, rushed a...