Saturday, May 28, 2022

The Proof Is In The Practicum

 


A fellow asked a wise man, “Which way is success?” The wise man said nothing and gestured towards a path. The man feeling elated, rushed ahead.

Splat!

The fellow returns tattered and stunned. He repeats the question and the wise man points silently in the same direction. He nods and rushes ahead again.

Splat!

When the seeker finally is able to crawl back, bloody and broken, he screams at the wise man, “No more pointing. Talk.”

Only then the wise man speaks, “Success is that way. Just a little past splat.”

Every practicum helped me experience ‘splat’ and afterwards, the lessons that followed provided another stepping stone towards being a better coach.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lessons afterwards. – Dick Enberg

I talked a lot in earlier practicums. To cover my anxiety, I was overly enthusiastic and excited, making comments and interjecting way too much. I was reminded that the percentage of a coach speaking in each session should be less that 40% - be quick to listen and slow to speak; we have two ears and one mouth. Ok, got that.

On the same wavelength was the need for me to employ pauses when listening or commenting and to be comfortable with silence. This means no quick interjections, giving my coachee and me time to think before speaking and to allow the magic of the sacred pause to work.

On the topic of asking questions, my ‘splat’ was attaching so much explanation before and/or after a question to the point the question gets lost in the verbal packaging I wrapped it in. This then led me to ask more questions. And yes, I know – it’s one question at a time and be as simple and succinct as possible.

In my fourth practicum I recorded 32 questions asked in 30 minutes! What was I thinking? Falling back to filling pauses and explaining questions with questions, I became a question creator and not an understanding listener with a few powerful questions. Lesson learnt. Somehow I concluded and grafted into my mind that most of my questions should begin with “What” and “How” and “Why” should be avoided unless really necessary. Splat. Looks like all the question words – 5W1H – can and should be used wisely as a master question craftsman.

I realized I can be too pushy and have my client say and do as I see fit: “but you will need to talk”, “no, that’s not true” and “you said you wanted to speak about . . . so why are you speaking about . . .” were just some of my horrible comments. I realized if I am not careful, I can  easily slide into the sin of making judgement, evaluating what my coachee said. Also a big no-no.

I see the importance of reflecting what my coachee is saying by paraphrasing or summarizing her words but I still need to make these paraphrases shorter and to be as succinct as possible! Need to draw on my skills and experience as an English teacher to create short, precise summaries.

Talking about summaries, at least in two practicums I happily summarized the session at the end! Another no-no. Better strategy – get the coachee to summarize the session. Ask, “What one lesson did you learn from this session?”

Another area I realized I still need to work on is how to close a session – what to focus on, what to say at the end. For this I am listening to recordings of ‘successful’ coaches in action and (of course) reading books and articles on the subject matter.

A lesson and reminder I picked up from some of the practicums was not to analyze my coachee’s problem and determine possible solutions. Once I go down this road I become anxious, stop listening actively and often lead my clients with my questions instead of allowing my client to identify the problem and select a best-fit solution on his own.

Once introduced to Models and having created my own model, I faced a new challenge – focusing too much on the steps in the model, trying to manufacture the session to fall in line with the 5 steps of my model! Splat! So now comes the lesson – know when to FLOW with the client and when to be guided by the GUIDE model I created. A thin line indeed and one I am to master if I am to be a better coach.


One lesson offered in Practicum 3 that I have yet to grasp fully and utilize when coaching – connecting the dots. As far as I understand this requires me to be aware of key information my client has shared and to be able to see a pattern or a link that when exposed will help my client see herself and/or her challenge in a new light and shed light on possible solutions. Thankful for the many connect-the-dots activities during kindergarten – now for real life application.

In my later practicums it became obvious I often say “so” revealing a mental framework I use (often) – the cause and effect thought process – that apparently is a disservice to me when I am coaching because I am not required to analyze my client’s problem and deduct what are the effect(s) of her actions. I believe a reflective question would be a better response as well as mirroring what my coachee said that could help her conclude the effects of her done or planned action.

A significant ‘Aha’ moment happened in Practicum 4 when Coach Mel drew attention to a significant action of mine that was opposite to what a coach should aim for in a session: I worked hard and asked questions to make sure I understood the client INSTEAD of helping the client understand herself! Yes, it is not for me to understand my client and her problem but it is on me to help my client understand herself and her present situation so that she can formulate a creative and helpful response. Wow! Since this revelation I have tried my best not to bother to understand my client but work really hard to help my client understand herself and what she is presenting to me.

Coach Mel’s last challenge to me in the Exit Interview may yet be the hardest to practice. When I was a young boy, something happened and I vowed to always seek the way of least resistance and avoid any form of confrontation or conflict as much as possible. It was no surprise to discover I was an Enneagram 9 – peacemaker – who prizes peace above all else. Why am I telling you all this? No, not to excuse myself but maybe to help you see why what Coach Mel encouraged me to do (and what he says is right) is very challenging: learn to challenge your client. Challenge their ideas, choices and timelines. As a Christian, my mine immediately raced to a scene in the Jewish Temple, where mild-mannered, loving and gentle Jesus was overturning the tables selling religious paraphernalia and whipping the businessmen there. At times I may need to challenge, to overturn my client’s table and ‘whip’ my client. Or I will take a gentler approach and just push my client out of her box or unrealistic plans (did I just make a judgement?).


Is all lost for me? No, because I do have some saving grace. From the practicums it is obvious I am good in active listening, mirroring back and observant of what client says. My love for words has helped me pick out key words or phrases said or repeated by my client, enabling me to ask some powerful questions or bring understanding for my client. I also naturally fall back to metaphors when explaining an observation or when seeking to help my client understand her situation from a different perspective.

I once asked someone who had travelled with me to several places where I had speaking engagement what did he see that was consistent and good about me. To be honest, I was expecting something unique but his answer was: you can get along with anyone in any situation. This too seems to be a common comment in all my evaluations – I am casual, calm, light, and confident when speaking, making the client feel at ease and peaceful. Yup, my E9 key characteristic just pops up everywhere.

These practicums are marvelous and powerful. I learnt more and changed faster from the process than just by listening to our weekly 2-hour lessons. It was challenging and troubling at times but always beneficial.

My biggest takeaway from these practicums is that I am no way near being a good coach and what I taught about my ability to coach has been severely tested. It has helped pull down most of my idealistic dreamer ideas about myself and coaching, waking me up to a stark reality. Coaching is not a walk in the park nor is it a stream for income. Instead coaching is a skill, a responsibility and a profession worth it’s worth in gold. Would I consider being a coach if I had learnt all this before I decided to place all my bets on coaching? Most probably not. But the dye has been cast and the only way ahead is forward.

Now to establish a coaching business.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Proof Is In The Practicum

  A fellow asked a wise man, “Which way is success?” The wise man said nothing and gestured towards a path. The man feeling elated, rushed a...